Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What's in a Name? Plus Expo Report

People often ask us about the business' name, and I usually tell them to hold on to their hats, it's a long story. When I lived in Chicago, my business had a different name. It was one I never particularly liked. Not so much because it was a bad one, but rather because the name I really wanted was already taken in the state of Illinois.

When I moved back to Indiana, I jumped on the chance to re-christen, but to what exactly I wasn't sure. I liked the idea of rhubarb as a business icon -- it is versatile, tough, kind of quirky and quintessentially Midwestern. Plus my grandma and my mom always grew it in their gardens, so it has a lot of happy associations for me. But "rhubarb" just sounded a little lonely all by itself. My girlfriends and I were kicking it around one day, and they came up with the name "Rhubarb Road." I thought that sounded a little too country, but I liked the alliteration of the 2 rs. Then inspiration struck! I'd seen the logo of a make-up company, which employed a small crown. Rhubarb Reign! Eureka. We could keep the two rs and add crown as our logo. We switched to lower case and the job was done. Joe liked the name once we started working together -- and now its been "rhubarb reign inc" for almost 10 years!


Expo Report

Many thanks to all who came out for the Expo Show -- it was our best to date for that venue! We can't thank you enough for your support. While we sold more furniture than usual for this event, it was the smalls that carried the day. We're headed out now to restock, but take a look at two cuties that I picked up at the Expo for myself:

Darling English chalk pincushion from Judy Walsberg, Tapestries of Nature, and



this awesome light fixture, which I'm going to repurpose as a candle holder. Remember to check Friday for your HALF-OFF ADMISSION coupon for Grayslake! xo


3 comments:

EstateChicago said...

i saw that light fixture~glad you got it! so cool. xxoo, kimberly

ChiPPy-SHaBBy said...

I'M "VAMPING" Over that light fixture Sandy!!! Please keep me FIRST IN LINE - if you decide to sell it...
Jeanine, ChiPPy!-SHaBBy!

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Always wondered where the name came from! Thanks for the background history. Ten years? That's terrific. Love what you guys do!