Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thrift Store Thursday: Eeck-gad! Twins!


I was innocently strolling through the most excellent Goodwill Store in Rochester, Indiana, one Monday, minding my own business, when these two wonderful boys caught my eye -- twins, one black and white, one color. For a mere 50 cents each, I gladly adopted them. I have a small collection of these "woodies" -- actually, I'm not sure exactly what they are called. Maybe someone out there knows? They're pictures that were applied to wood, which was then cut out in exactly the shape of the photo. Like real-life paper dolls. From the clothing, I'm guessing they are 1930s-1950s. I'm assuming they were a craft, although maybe a photographer's studio would have offered them, as the saw cuts would have been kind of tricky. Two of my favorites were spotted on some one's sweater at a show in Kentucky -- they were pins, made as carnival prizes! I've looked for them ever since with no luck. Sigh. But I'm still hunting! Until next week...xo -- Sandy/rhubarb reign

10 comments:

Holly said...

Oh, those are too cool! There was actually something like that available when my kids were born (probably still is) and I really wanted some.
Fun find! Thanks for joining TST!

Always Faith said...

cool find! I love old stuff like that! And thanks for stopping by my place, too!

Dianie said...

Wow, Those are the coolest finds!
I have never seen anything like that before.
Thanks for visiting my blog :)


~Diane

Sandy and Joe/rhubarb reign said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies! xo

JUST ME said...

Hey GIRL,

Great find.... I recently found some old Martha Stewart books at my Good Will, had to buy all four. Could not leave them behind. Have not found anything great like this in a while and especially for the price.

Not sure if I will make it to Kane.

Canada? Have not heard anymore mentioned. I guess in my mind if I leave that subject alone it will go away.

ann at greenoak said...

gosh, i feel like a dud....you found that 3 miles from my store...THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
try and come see me sometime..i would love to meet you in person...
....ann

Carisa said...

I haven't seen those in years! Yours are wonderful. I like the color photo because it has that great look of being touched up by color, but the b&w is fun, too. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)
Mrs. Petrie @ casapetrie.com/blog/

Anita said...

Hey Sandy! I got you some carnival pins last week- as mentioned in a previous post. They are HILARIOUSLY inappropriate, as I would tell my kids!

See ya this weekend!

Anita

Empty Nest Full Life said...

What a unique find. I shudder to think of all the vintage things that were in my moms home, grandmother etc that I passed by and now have such an affection for. I tell my husband I love to purchase memories of days gone by. Jackie

garage sale girly said...

haha!! those are two awesome!!