Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Picasso, Kane and Grayslake

Picasso and Chicago: Last week was spring break and since there was no show on the calendar, my family headed for a little r&r in the big city, Chicago. I wanted to see the Kara Walker exhibit I had read about in the Wall Street Journal, and the Picasso exhibit was a bonus. For some reason, we tend to forget that when this notion strikes us, it also strikes every third person in the Midwest -- we all descend on Chicago at once! Man, was it crowded. I also tend to forget that after about 15 minutes in the museum, I want to leave. Each of the amazing things on exhibit demands undivided attention -- how can you concentrate on so many? Plus I am hot and getting bumped and jostled. But I've paid $23 per adult and $17 per student, so I'm gonna look at it all. At least 'til I can't stand it anymore. Or they turn the lights out, whatever comes first. We actually stayed 'til closing. The Kara Walker exhibit was very interesting, but I wished for more narrative. Would have been great to live close enough to attend a lecture.Walker is a mixed media artist; this installation included cut-paper silhouettes, watercolors and large-scale graphite drawings. The precision of the silhouettes is awe-inspiring, set off by the chalkboard-colored gallery walls. The Picasso stuff was over the top. While I understand his importance, I have to confess that Picasso is not my favorite. I think his paintings are often ugly, but I forget how sublimely beautiful his drawings are. Plus there was a lot of background about him personally, which I knew little of. Two cool Picasso Facts -- he never came to the States in his entire life and the Art Institute was the first American museum to exhibit his work. There were a number of companion exhibits going on as well, including a re-gathering of many of the pieces exhibited 100 years ago for the Armory Show, a pivotal exhibit which established New York as the center of the art world, replacing Paris. The whole experience really made me think, though, which is one of art's greatest functions. It resonated especially because of a piece I'd been reading, "How to Be a Creative Bad-ass," but more on that next time! Bonus Idea -- someone needs to do a whole blog about what people wear to go look at art -- that's almost as interesting as the art itself!
 
KANE COUNTY:We weren't quite sure what the weather was going to do, as we had some sprinkles during set up and the milder temperatures seem to be eluding us.The only constant was the wind. But by the time the show opened, the sun was peeking out and it had warmed up quite a bit. It was quiet for us for about the first hour, but then it was super busy for the rest of Saturday. Not much furniture sold until Sunday, but smalls sold well both days.  Many thanks to all who came out to see us at the show -- including a special thanks to everyone who came by to wish me happy birthday. Thanks for making me feel so special.
 
GRAYSLAKE: Remember that Grayslake is coming up next. Print the red coupon to receive HALF-OFF general admission. Check us out on Facebook later this week for a peek at what we are bringing! See you there. xo
 

2 comments:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I'm late, but Happy Birthday. I miss you guys.

country mink-city mink said...

One of my favorite Picasso stores is: When German officials marched through his studio to question him on the whereabouts of Jewish art its he simply smiled and handed them postcards reproductions of "Guernica". One German ambassador sneered and said, "So, you did that, Monsieur Picasso?" "No", Picasso said, "You did".