Monday, February 6, 2012

Favorite Things: DuPage Expo Show; Plus BookEnds

Much as I hate to admit it, I still get the jitters before every show. They usually start sometime on Thursday and slowly build up a head of steam, rising to a crescendo during set up. That's usually the time I'm asking myself once again, "WHY do I want to do this?"

But then the doors open, and I remember. Because I really do love it and can't imagine doing anything else! We had a ball at the DuPage Expo, seeing so many of our favorite customers and getting the chance to catch up with dealer pals.

The weather was great for early February; sales were brisk Saturday and steady Sunday. People's booths looked terrific. There were lots of new dealers, too, trying the show for the first time, which is always good to see.

Just a few of my favorite things were the original-orange-finish industrial stand in the photo above; our early 1900s ledgers, pictured below:

and this sweet little vintage oil:

I also bought these awesome old canvas pennants from our show neighbor Mark McKee:

And these fabulous Victorian Mardi Gras medals from friend Diane Landry:

I'm going to do a whole post on those once we get closer to Lent! All in all, it was a great weekend. Many thanks to all the wonderful customers who came out to support the show. We are always so grateful. Heading out tomorrow to shop for Grayslake. Join us to see what we find!! xo

BOOKEND

Two of my favorite pals recommended "The Language of Flowers," by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, which I always take as a very good sign. And I have not been disappointed. Set in modern-day San Francisco, the story follows the life of Victoria, now 18, who grew up disillusioned in the state's foster care network. On her own, she's now struggling to find a place for herself. Her innate talents with flowers open some surprising doors for her. But as she has already learned, the flowers' subtle meanings can be deceiving. A plus is the guide to floral symbolism at the book's end.


1 comment:

amy of studio four corners said...

what fun finds...really love the old journals!